October 17, 2012

Day in the Life - Two Under Two

I did a post like this a couple months ago when I was pregnant with Kase and Kyla was 18 months.  You can go back and read that here.  I thought it would be fun to do these every once in awhile to see how things have changed.

I knew being a mom of two kids under two would be hard.  How hard is it?  It depends on the day.

One day I feel like I have everything completely under control.  The kids are happy.  Mama is happy.  This is easy!  Let's have another.  Ok, maybe it's not that easy, but I do think about that.  But trust me, we will be waiting awhile for that.

The next day?  I watch the clock wondering when the heck Tyler will be home.  Both kids need me at the same time.  Poop at the same time.  Need to eat at the same time.  Neither one wants to take naps.  Both are crying.  My only free time is the minute I get to go to the bathroom.  And it's really not even "free" because Kyla tags along to supervise.  I text Tyler about three times to ask when he will be home.  Then call him on his way home and ask him where he is.  Oh yes, we have plenty of these days.

Kyla goes to bed at 8:00 and Kase has been eating around 9:00 and is in bed for the night between 9:30 and 10:00.  I usually stay up with him and put him down so Tyler can go to bed early.  Kase has been getting up between 5:00 and 6:00 to eat (yes, he's sleeping through the night).  I have him fed, changed and back in his crib in less than an hour and I lay back down.  Tyler's alarm goes off and he's off to work between 6:30 and 7:00 (depending on how many times he hits the snooze button).

As a side note, Kase sleeps in his own room, in his crib.  Kyla slept in her crib from day one too.  I know a lot of people have their babies sleep in their bedroom next to their bed, but that's just not for us.  I'm such a light sleeper that I would never sleep because I'd hear every little noise.  I already hear enough noises in the monitor.  We also don't need to worry about making the transition into the crib later.  This is just what works for us.

Like clockwork, both kids wake up at 8:00.  Every morning I have to laugh.  I told Tyler Friday night that they both get up every single morning at 8:00.  Sure enough, Saturday morning comes and we hear Kase in the monitor at 7:59 and Kyla is having a party in her crib.  I get Kase up, feed him, change him and lay him in his crib with his mobile on while I get Kyla up.  I change her, give her some milk and cereal and let her watch Mickey for a little bit.

Usually Kase is still ok with being in his crib so I can get dressed, put my contacts in, maybe eat some breakfast, brush my teeth and check my email/Facebook/blog.

9:00 to 12:00 each morning is different, depending on Kase and how much he needs his Mama.  If he will hang out in his swing or on the floor, I do Tot School with Kyla.  If he needs to be held (which is a lot), I try to play with Kyla while I'm holding him.  She gets pretty frustrated and this is when she gets naughty.  It's a struggle, I'm not going to lie.  I've come to realize it's a little better if we go downstairs.  She has a lot more toys down there, but she still strives for my attention.  I really try to put Kase down even if it's only for 10 minutes at a time just so I can give her one on one attention.

Kyla eats lunch around noon and depending on how tired she is, she'll either go down for a nap right away or I let her play for a bit.  Since she's been nuk free, she hasn't been napping as long.  I can usually get Kase down for a nap in his crib.  I clean up from lunch, do some blogging and sometimes will lay down myself.  Both kids are usually up by 3:00 at the latest.

From 3:00 to 6:00, which is usually when Tyler gets home, is the rough part of our day.  Kyla gets a snack after her nap and begs to watch Mickey.  And by begging, I mean brings me the remote and whines.  And cries.  It drives me crazy!  I usually hide the remote.  If she didn't have any timeouts in the morning, I will let her play on the iPad for a little bit.

I try to have dinner ready when Tyler gets home, but it doesn't always happen.  And when I do have dinner ready, it's nothing extravagent.  I haven't quite mastered cooking nice meals without both kids crying.  Hopefully by the time I do my next Day in the Life post, I will have that down :)

Tyler gets home and he usually sits down with Kyla to eat.  Sometimes Kase will hang out so I can eat with them, but most of the time he needs to be held.  I clean up from dinner while Tyler takes care of the kids.  From 6:30-8:00 we hang out as a family.  Play.  Go for walks.  Go to Culver's for ice cream.  Baths.  Bedtime for Kyla.  Fussy time for Kase.  We try to keep him awake until his last feeding of the night.

And we made it.  We survived another day.

Some days are hard.  Really hard.  Ok, most days are hard.  Some days I just need a good cry.  Some days all I wish for is 20 minutes to myself.  Ok, let's be real.  I would do anything for 10 minutes.  A hot shower.  A drive in the van with nowhere to go.  Some days my drive would include music.  Other days I would drive in complete silence.  Oh, sweet silence.  Some days I am overwhelmed.  But every day?  Every day I am grateful.  Grateful for these two sweet little babies that call me their Mama.  Grateful that I get to be here with them every single day.  Good days and bad.



  1. Oh man, that all sounds way too familiar! haha. Just know that is completely normal for a two under two day in the life....pretty much exactly how our days went (well, except my kids are early risers...7am if I'm lucky!)

    It does get a little easier in many ways. I always thought the hardest part was when the baby was fussy and wanted to be held, and then you had the crying toddler jealous...nothing you can do to reason with either of them and it's very frustrating! At least now when mine get like that I can send Raya to her room if she doesn't stop whining and stuff and she "gets" the idea.

    Of course then you substitute many baby things with sibling fighting and 3 year old attitude ... ;-)

  2. After our emailing, I'm glad you posted this ;) Keeps it real, lol... no matter how CUTE they are, it's still tough, but always rewarding!