September 5, 2011

Kyla's Birth Story

I often wish I would have started blogging earlier so Kyla would have a "journal" dating all the way back from the day she was born.  But, since that didn't happen, I will do the next best thing today ("Labor" Day seemed appropriate).  Share with you the best day of my life...

I went to my friend Laura's bridal shower on Saturday, January 8th back in my hometown.  I was 38 weeks pregnant so I skipped the bachelorette party bus and came home.  At about 9:00 pm that night, Tyler and I were sitting on the couch talking about when Kyla would come into the world.  We both said how we thought she was going to be late.  My guess was a few days late and Tyler thought at least a week late.  We went to bed around 10:00.

At about 11:30, I went to the bathroom and realized that my water had just broken.  I could not believe it!  I was freaking out a little bit.  Not in a bad way, just couldn't believe it was happening and in the moment, I forgot what I should do.  After a few deep breaths and Tyler asking me if I was sure it was my water breaking, I called the hospital.  One of my biggest fears throughout my pregnancy was that I'd get all the way to the hospital and they'd send me home.  So I kept saying "I think it was my water breaking, it has to be my water breaking.  What do you think Ty?"  Like he would know, right?  Haha.  Anyway, they got a hold of our doctor and said to come on in, but there wasn't too big of a rush.  So I took a shower and finished packing my bag.  We got to the hospital around 1:00 am.

By 4:00 am, my contractions were kicking my butt and I was throwing up quite often.  They kept telling me I needed to try to rest in between contractions because it might be a long day and I hadn't really had any sleep since Friday night.  With the pain and the vomiting, there was no resting.  I decided to get the epidural around 5:30.  Best.decision.ever.  Since we hadn't really slept, we were both able to get a couple hours at this point since I was comfortable.

My mom and Brian arrived around 9:00 I think and Tyler's mom a couple hours later.  Things started to stall a little bit so they decided to give me some Pitocin.  Then, things started to move too quickly so they had to back off with the Pitocin.  At one point the nurse came in to check on me and she started panicking a little bit and immediately called for my doctor.  She told me to turn over on my side, but I could barely move because my legs were numb so she started freaking out on me, telling me I needed to roll over.  The next thing I knew I had an oxygen mask on.  Apparently, Kyla's heartbeat started dropping drastically, but after a few times rolling over, everything was back to normal.  Even though I wasn't in pain, it seemed like it took forever to get to 10cm.  But finally, around 12:30 pm, it was time to push!  The doctor told me that with first time mom's it often takes two hours of pushing.  Two hours?  That is NOT happening!  Less than 30 minutes later, our little miracle who we waited so long for had arrived.

 7 lbs 11 oz, 20 3/4 in, lots of red hair!

Such a proud Daddy!

Tyler has a very weak stomach so we were a little worried about the delivery, but he was amazing!  I could not have done it without him.  He was such a great coach!

It's so much fun to look back at these pictures.  Here are a few of my favorites from Kyla's first couple weeks...

We were both wrong with our predictions that Saturday night.  She was 9 days early!  She knew her mom and dad had waited so patiently for her so she rewarded us a little early :)

I am so thankful that everything went smoothly and Kyla is such a healthy, happy baby.  I had the best nurse ever and I am still sad that I never got to thank her for everything.  She helped us down from the delivery floor to where we'd stay our two nights, but I was in the bathroom when she left.  She was amazing!

Kyla, now you know a little bit about your birth story.  Your mom and dad will never forget that day, January 9th, 2011, the best day of our lives!


  1. Ok Amy way to make me cry.

  2. Epidural = awesome :-)

    Great birth story---love all her hair !!!!!!!


  3. Love it! I worry what Cory will be like in the delivery room, he's prone to passing out! LOL.